Sunday, December 4, 2011

Saying Yes to a Dress

There are certain dates through out this whole experience that I will never forget.  October 29th 9:44 a.m. the date and time Aaron purposed.  December 3rd, the day I bought my wedding dress.  I had a whole gaggle of people with me.  I'm an avid watcher of Say Yes to the Dress, so I wasn't sure how this was going to go.  They say that you shouldn't take a large group, it will only confuse you even more.  However, I knew what I wanted, and frankly didn't care if the group liked it or not, if I felt good in it I was going to get it.  Lucky for me my entire group was FANTASTIC.

We started at our place, my mom, my sister, Aaron's sister, and Staci.  We met Aaron's mom at the shop.  The only missing link was Chelsea my 4th bridesmaid.  I was thinking about her the whole time.  I was secretly hoping I wouldn't find a dress, so she could go out with me looking...but things didn't go as planned.  As we were leaving the apartment I was showing the girls some of the different dresses I had picked out.  I already heard opinions...YIKES WHAT WAS I GETTING MYSELF INTO??!!  No one had anything negative to so, everyone just has their own ideas of what looks good and what doesn't  Aaron was so sweet, he kissed me goodbye and whispered in my ear "remember you have the ultimate say"  I was ready to conquer the world!....or at least the bridal shop.

We got to David's Bridal (I know I know, I should shop local..blah blah blah...my dress was on MEGA sale, and I can't stomach spending thousands of dollars on one item of clothing for one day, so I went chain...sue me!)  Plus WHO CARES?  They gave me an appointment slot of 2 hours...I told my consultant the style numbers I had picked out, and she brought back the dresses one at a time.  I knew right away with the first one that I Hated it.  The second dress took me a while to figure out whether or not I like it.  The third dress was it, I knew before it was out of the bag.  It was the one I feel in love with online.  I could tell in the bag I LOVE IT.  She put it on, and before I was even in front of a mirror I said "I'm done"  I knew it was the dress.  It was just a feeling.  Plus it was a size smaller than all of the other dresses..BONUS.

***Disclaimer****  I don't really know what the rule is about showing the dress to other people before the wedding.  Aaron doesn't read the blog, or have facebook so he won't see pictures.  If you want to wait until the wedding, don't look at the pictures. 


Front and back view.  Obviously it will look way better once it's altered to my size.  I feel like the lighting made me look like such a cow!!!










Once I said yes, everyone started crying.  I knew I was on the right track.  It is exactly what I have always envisioned myself wearing.  The look fits the feel of the wedding, it's a very "me" dress.
The store made me ring a bell once I said I was getting the dress, when I rang it everyone cheered, and clapped...it was really fun!

Ringing the bell after I said yes!
I have a friend making a headpiece for me.  She makes great bows and headbands for little girls.  I've bought some bows from her for myself, so I figured I would ask her to make my headpiece for the wedding.  She said yes, I am soooooo excited!  I've always known that I don't want to wear a veil.  They all look exactly the same, and just don't do anything for me.  I figured to give myself the full bridal experience, and to make my mom happy, I would try the dress on with a veil.
The moms started crying, so I caved.  I'm weaning a veil for the ceremony and a few pictures, and then switching to my custom headpiece by Peyton's Closet

Once I got home from the very overwhelming, but fun day, I got to thinking about the tux situation.  I have no idea when those are supposed to be picked out and ordered.  Aaron and I went to dinner, and decided to make a quick stop at Men's Warehouse to see what the scoop was.  We ended up picking everything out, and finding out, we're pretty much right on time with the tux ordering!  I'm feeling good!!!!

<3 Karissa

1 comment: